Definition of bombard in English:
Pronunciation: /bämˈbärd/[with object]
1Attack (a place or person) continuously with bombs, shells, or other missiles: the city was bombarded by federal forces supporters bombarded police with bottles
More example sentences
- Further north, Tomahawk missiles bombarding the city heralded the beginning of the War.
- Two years ago, the major part of the war was all about bombarding us with smart bombs and high-tech missiles.
- One answer of course might be for the Allies to bombard the railway tracks leading to the death camps.
1.1Assail (someone) persistently, as with questions, criticisms, or information: they will be bombarded with complaints
1.2 Physics Direct a high-speed stream of particles at (a substance).
- A young scientist named Henry Moseley experimented with bombarding atoms of different elements with x rays.
- The experimenters bombarded a thin gold foil with alpha particles (helium atoms without electrons).
- These men experimented by bombarding uranium with neutrons.
Pronunciation: /ˈbämˌbärd/historical Back to top
A cannon of the earliest type, which originally fired a stone ball.
- Yet for all the muskets, bombards, and cannon, Kelly appears more interested in the impact of gunpowder as a technological force driving deeper societal changes.
- Early siege cannon, or bombards, were heavy and rested in a static mount.
- In a short time, these small and ineffective weapons developed into massive bombards.
Words that rhyme with bombardAssad, aubade, avant-garde, backyard, ballade, bard, Bernard, canard, card, charade, chard, couvade, croustade, Cunard, facade, glissade, guard, hard, ill-starred, interlard, lard, Montagnard, nard, pard, petard, pomade, promenade, regard, rodomontade, roulade, saccade, Sade, salade, sard, shard, unmarred, unscarred, yard
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan