Definition of bombardier in English:
1A member of a bomber crew in the US Air Force responsible for sighting and releasing bombs.
- After World War II begins, Zinn decides to enlist in the Air Force as a bombardier even though his navy yard job would have provided an exemption.
- Here we were subjected to another physical and now had to take a battery of tests to determine whether we would be pilots, navigators or bombardiers.
- Rather, the aircraft dropped it as a normal bomb, then the bombardier guided its steep descent by radio remote control.
2A rank of noncommissioned officer in certain Canadian and British artillery regiments, equivalent to corporal.
- Equivalent ranks in the Royal Artillery are lance-bombardier and bombardier, harking back to the ancient rank of bombardier, a species of trained artilleryman.
- Mr Hornby, a bombardier in the Royal Artillery during the Second World War, was ordered on a perilous mission while acting as a dispatch rider in Italy.
- Harold Ings, 86, a bombardier with the Royal Artillery was one of the soldiers whose unit was surrounded by Germans in occupied France.
Definition of bombardier in:
- British & World English dictionary