Definition of bondsman in English:
noun (plural bondsmen)
1A person who stands surety for a bond.
- Due diligence on the part of the bondsman is required.
- As bail bondsmen know, just about everyone has some money that they can fork over to free themselves from a tight spot.
- Normally, it can go to a surety company which is sort of like a high-class bail bondsman.
2 archaic A slave.
- These people were mostly Mahorans, African slaves and bondsmen, Malagasy, and Comoreans from other islands in the archipelago.
- Traders also sought to provide slaves with external reputations, by changing the physical appearance of the bondsmen through altered diets and better clothing.
- It is entirely possible that he began life tied to the land, since at least one letter in the Paston collection accuses him of being a peasant bondsman.
Words that rhyme with bondsmanbondsmen
Definition of bondsman in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.