Definition of bontebok in English:
noun (plural same or bonteboks)
An antelope with a mainly reddish-brown coat and white face, found in eastern South Africa. It belongs to the same species as the blesbok.
- Damaliscus dorcas dorcas, family Bovidae
- He would have been happy to shoot a bontebok or an eland, but what he found grazing in the heath was a solitary bluebuck with scimitar-shaped horns.
- Running around this landscape of giant heathers, you will also see ostriches, bonteboks, baboons and, if you are lucky, a fly-past from a blue crane.
- The conservation status of the Cape mountain zebra (Equus zebra zebra), a rare and endangered mammal, was even worse than that of the bontebok.
Definition of bontebok in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan