noun (plural same or bonteboks)
An antelope with a mainly reddish-brown coat and white face, found in eastern South Africa. It belongs to the same species as the blesbok.
- Damaliscus dorcas dorcas, family Bovidae
More example sentences
- He would have been happy to shoot a bontebok or an eland, but what he found grazing in the heath was a solitary bluebuck with scimitar-shaped horns.
- Running around this landscape of giant heathers, you will also see ostriches, bonteboks, baboons and, if you are lucky, a fly-past from a blue crane.
- The conservation status of the Cape mountain zebra (Equus zebra zebra), a rare and endangered mammal, was even worse than that of the bontebok.
late 18th century: from Afrikaans, from Dutch bont 'pied' + bok 'buck'.
Definition of bontebok in:
- The British & World English dictionary