Definition of bontebok in English:
noun (plural same or bonteboks)
An antelope with a mainly reddish-brown coat and white face, found in eastern South Africa. It belongs to the same species as the blesbok.
- Damaliscus dorcas dorcas, family Bovidae
- He would have been happy to shoot a bontebok or an eland, but what he found grazing in the heath was a solitary bluebuck with scimitar-shaped horns.
- Running around this landscape of giant heathers, you will also see ostriches, bonteboks, baboons and, if you are lucky, a fly-past from a blue crane.
- The conservation status of the Cape mountain zebra (Equus zebra zebra), a rare and endangered mammal, was even worse than that of the bontebok.
Definition of bontebok in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.