- The federal government would also reward states with performance bonuses based in part on lower poverty rates.
- Workers were paid a form of piece rate, which was a minimum wage plus a bonus for output over a certain level.
- My weekly wage was about £150 and there were performance bonuses.
- Geraldine, who organised the logistics of the trip, said it was what she expected, but the unexpected generosity of people along the way was an added bonus.
- As an added bonus the DVD actually has enough extra content that it can be considered a special edition.
- As an added bonus, the southern hemisphere is midway into its summer season, offering warm, comfortable temperatures for vacations this time of year.
- Frequently fouled teams get into the bonus more quickly, and it's nearly impossible to get transition baskets against a team that is shooting free throws.
- During the game, players can earn ‘virtual credits’ by defeating other players or earning extra bonuses.
- However a player will receive no bonuses at all that turn.
- After year 13, reinvested dividends and bonuses would pay for future premium.
- What the Trustee is after is the shareholder's dividends, bonuses, other payments that result, as a result that come from the share ownership.
- I believe perks can be a wonderful bonus for shareholders.
- To get round the problem, they will probably pay the vast majority of with-profits policy holders their compensation through bonuses to their policies.
- However, as these are with-profits policies, bonuses accrued to date will be small.
- But the company says a standard policy holder with a full bonus making a claim will effectively pay out more than three times their annual premium.
This was probably originally Stock Exchange slang, coming from Latin bonus ‘good’. Very recently—too recently to get into most dictionaries—the word malus has been recorded for a fine or penalty, based on Latin malus ‘bad’ on the pattern of bonus. The French form of bonus, bon may lie behind the mainly Scottish bonny ‘good, fair’. Bounty (Middle English) goes back to the same source. See also bonanza
Words that rhyme with bonusCronus, Jonas, lowness, onus, Tithonus
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.