Definition of booster in English:
1A person or thing that helps increase or promote something, in particular.
- Volunteer work, in particular, can be an immense confidence booster.
- Products containing ephedra are often promoted as energy boosters or aids to controlling weight.
- It is also high in vitamins, minerals, protein, phytochemicals and chlorophyll, and it may work as a cancer preventative and brain booster.
1.1North American A keen promoter of a person, organization, or cause: [as modifier]: athletic booster clubs
More example sentences
- In a country where it is illegal to organize many types of public meetings, fans formed booster clubs and canvassed malls to court prospective voters.
- In fact, if it weren't for parental involvement as sponsors, coaches, booster club participants, etc. most programs would not even survive.
- In the early twentieth century, booster organizations that favored particular water projects proliferated.
1.3 Medicine A dose of an immunizing agent increasing or renewing the effect of an earlier one.
- Dr. Robbins said that efforts to increase the efficacy of the vaccines will include studies on the effectiveness of a booster dose of the vaccine given one year later.
- Young children who have not received all five doses of the vaccine may require a booster dose if exposed to an infected family member.
- I had a booster vaccination last year, needed every ten years.
1.4The first stage of a rocket or spacecraft, used to give initial acceleration.
- The camera will be turned on fifteen minutes prior to launch and will show the orbiter and solid rocket boosters on the launch pad.
- The ground crews will also be monitoring the performance of the orbiter, solid rocket boosters and ground system while the tank is filled with the ultra-cold liquids.
- In the first scenario, personal spaceflight will use lower-cost versions of classic boosters and spacecraft.
1.5A device for increasing electrical voltage or signal strength.
- Antenna boosters help to strengthen the signal between a cell tower and your phone.
- A booster circuit uses a source voltage to generate a boosted voltage that is higher than the source voltage.
- Antenna booster for areas with weak signals are another good choice.
Words that rhyme with boosterrooster
Definition of booster in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.