Definition of booster in English:
1A person or thing that helps increase or promote something, in particular.
- Volunteer work, in particular, can be an immense confidence booster.
- Products containing ephedra are often promoted as energy boosters or aids to controlling weight.
- It is also high in vitamins, minerals, protein, phytochemicals and chlorophyll, and it may work as a cancer preventative and brain booster.
1.1North American A keen promoter of a person, organization, or cause: [as modifier]: athletic booster clubs
More example sentences
- In a country where it is illegal to organize many types of public meetings, fans formed booster clubs and canvassed malls to court prospective voters.
- In fact, if it weren't for parental involvement as sponsors, coaches, booster club participants, etc. most programs would not even survive.
- In the early twentieth century, booster organizations that favored particular water projects proliferated.
1.3 Medicine A dose of an immunizing agent increasing or renewing the effect of an earlier one.
- Dr. Robbins said that efforts to increase the efficacy of the vaccines will include studies on the effectiveness of a booster dose of the vaccine given one year later.
- Young children who have not received all five doses of the vaccine may require a booster dose if exposed to an infected family member.
- I had a booster vaccination last year, needed every ten years.
1.4The first stage of a rocket or spacecraft, used to give initial acceleration.
- The camera will be turned on fifteen minutes prior to launch and will show the orbiter and solid rocket boosters on the launch pad.
- The ground crews will also be monitoring the performance of the orbiter, solid rocket boosters and ground system while the tank is filled with the ultra-cold liquids.
- In the first scenario, personal spaceflight will use lower-cost versions of classic boosters and spacecraft.
1.5A device for increasing electrical voltage or signal strength.
- Antenna boosters help to strengthen the signal between a cell tower and your phone.
- A booster circuit uses a source voltage to generate a boosted voltage that is higher than the source voltage.
- Antenna booster for areas with weak signals are another good choice.
Definition of booster in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan