A herbaceous plant with bright blue flowers and hairy leaves, used medicinally and as a salad green.
- Borago officinalis, family Boraginaceae (the borage family). This family includes many plants that typically have blue or purple flowers, including forget-me-not, comfrey, and bugloss
More example sentences
- Collect herb flowers such as borage and chamomile just before full flowering.
- Painted Ladies, which instinctively lay their eggs on thistle plants, also find an acceptable substitute in the hairy leaves of borage.
- We've got hawthorn, gingko, elder, mullein, lavender, sage, thyme, echinacea, borage, yarrow and plenty of pine trees.
Middle English: from Old French bourrache, from medieval Latin borrago, probably from Arabic.
Definition of borage in:
- The British & World English dictionary