A white mineral in some alkaline salt deposits, used in making glass and ceramics, as a metallurgical flux, and as an antiseptic.
- A hydrated sodium borate; chemical formula: Na2B4O7(OH)4.8H2O
More example sentences
- The flux also might contain silica, borax, soda ash, potassium nitrate and household flour.
- Fluxes of this type are usually based on borax, boric acid, or glass, which melts at copper alloy melting temperatures to provide a fluid slag cover.
- Potassium salts, such as sylvite (potassium chloride), are used to produce fertilizers for the agricultural industry, while boron salts, especially borax, are a basic resource for the glass industry.
late Middle English: from medieval Latin, from Arabic būraḳ, from Pahlavi būrak.
More definitions of boraxDefinition of borax in:
- The British & World English dictionary