Definition of borer in English:
1A worm, mollusk, insect, or insect larva that bores into wood, other plant material, or rock.
- Thus, the hypothesized paleoclimate of the two fossil localities fits well within the range in which both insect and mite wood borers are found today.
- Two rice strains were genetically altered to resist two insects, rice stem borers and leaf rollers, which sometimes require heavy use of pesticides to control.
- Stalk borer larvae injure corn plants in June and early July.
2A tool for boring.
- They consist of a large number of carefully made large blades and flakes and an unusually high proportion of finished tools including backed knives, scrapers and borers.
- The tools were a saw, a pipe borer or tube drills for wine reduction, and a carpenter's drill or brace with a tightening screw.
- A common method was to bore a hole in the barrel using any of a variety of bung borers, boring taps, augers, tapered reamers, and the like.
Words that rhyme with borerabhorrer, adorer, Andorra, angora, aura, aurora, bora, Bora-Bora, Camorra, Cora, corer, Dora, Eleonora, Eudora, explorer, fedora, flora, fora, ignorer, Isadora, Kia-Ora, Laura, Leonora, Maura, menorah, Nora, pakora, Pandora, pourer, roarer, scorer, senhora, señora, signora, snorer, soarer, Sonora, sora, storer, Theodora, Torah, Tuscarora, Vlorë
Definition of borer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan