Definition of boron in English:
The chemical element of atomic number 5, a nonmetallic solid. (Symbol: B)
- The mineral elements most likely to be deficient in vineyards are nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, zinc, boron, iron, manganese, and magnesium.
- The smaller element may be a nonmetallic element, such as boron, carbon, nitrogen, or silicon.
- Zinc is in solid solution; boron, titanium and zirconium are seldom added in amounts sufficient to produce visible compounds.
early 19th century: from borax, on the pattern of carbon (which it resembles in some respects).
- Example sentences
- Some clues can be found in erbium rhodium boride and holmium molybdenum sulphide—the superconductivity of both these materials is destroyed by the onset of a first-order ferromagnetic phase transition.
- Either calcium boride or lithium should be plunged into the molten bath to deoxidize the melt.
- Possible ceramics for such armours are: Boron carbide, Silicon carbide, Aluminium oxide, or Titanium boride.
Definition of boron in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan