- The larva of the botfly, which is an internal parasite of animals. It lives typically in the stomach, finally passing through the host’s dung and pupating on the ground.More example sentences
- Traditionally, the most effective treatments for the control of horse bots have been applied at least 30 days after the first killing frost.
- One exception is to be certain the horse is dewormed for bots each fall and spring.
- If not removed, the eggs are eventually ingested as the horse nuzzles its legs and can cause problems, even death, if the horse isn't given a wormer that kills bots.
early 16th century: probably of Low German origin.
- 1(Chiefly in science fiction) a robot.More example sentences
- We've got a big expo coming up, and if you'd like to show off your bots, the Summer Robot Games & Expo in San Francisco is a great opportunity to do so.
- He left the room, leaving the smoldering training robot for the cleaner bot to pick up.
- There were also several trucks, and some bots that looked like automated forklifts.
- 1.1 Computing An autonomous program on a network (especially the Internet) that can interact with computer systems or users, especially one designed to respond or behave like a player in an adventure game.More example sentences
- In co-op play, online players team up against bots to accomplish missions.
- The search engine bots would certainly have downloaded that meta-data and may have it stored in databases ready for somebody to just ask nicely.
- Where that information comes from is unclear; the report's authors believe some of the bots are interfacing in real time with credit card company databases.
1960s: shortening of robot.