Definition of botfly in English:
noun (plural botflies)
A stout hairy-bodied fly with larvae that are internal parasites of mammals, in particular.
- ● A fly with larvae (bots) that develop within the guts of horses (Gasterophilus and other genera, family Gasterophilidae). ● A fly of the warble fly family (Oestridae).
- Other than biting and acting as vectors of disease, flies may affect humans by causing myiasis, infestation of the skin or a body orifice with fly larvae of Diptera species, which include the human botfly.
- The plain's long sightlines give the caribou a jump on approaching predators, and the winds off the Beaufort Sea bring temporary relief from millions of swarming mosquitoes and botflies.
- The botfly is found in the forests of Mexico, Central America, and South America.
Definition of botfly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.