(also bottle-nosed dolphin)
Definition of bottlenose dolphin in English:
A stout-bodied dolphin with a distinct short beak, found in tropical and temperate coastal waters.
- Tursiops truncatus, family Delphinidae
- They have a pronounced bulbous melon that slopes smoothly into a long tube-like beak similar to that of a bottlenose dolphin.
- Not long ago in Shark Bay, off the coast of western Australia, a female bottlenose dolphin broke a chunk of sponge off the seafloor and wore it as a mask over her snout while she probed the sediment for fish.
- Nobody knows how long a sperm whale can hold its breath - or a bottlenose dolphin either, for that matter.
Definition of bottlenose dolphin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan