(also bottle-nosed dolphin)
Definition of bottlenose dolphin in English:
A stout-bodied dolphin with a distinct short beak, found in tropical and temperate coastal waters.
- Tursiops truncatus, family Delphinidae
- They have a pronounced bulbous melon that slopes smoothly into a long tube-like beak similar to that of a bottlenose dolphin.
- Not long ago in Shark Bay, off the coast of western Australia, a female bottlenose dolphin broke a chunk of sponge off the seafloor and wore it as a mask over her snout while she probed the sediment for fish.
- Nobody knows how long a sperm whale can hold its breath - or a bottlenose dolphin either, for that matter.
Definition of bottlenose dolphin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.