An ornamental climbing plant that is widely cultivated in the tropics. The insignificant flowers are surrounded by brightly colored papery bracts that persist on the plant for a long time.
- Genus Bougainvillea, family Nyctaginaceae
More example sentences
- Standards of plants not requiring dormant cycles, such as bougainvillea, hibiscus, ivies or geraniums, have a simple winter culture.
- Anthuriums, roses, hibiscuses, chrysanthemums, lilies and bougainvilleas were some of the other carnations that were on display.
- Miller also offers a variety of tropical plants, including bromeliads, bougainvillea, citrus, hibiscus, and orchids.
named after Louis de Bougainville (see Bougainville, Louis Antoine de).
Definition of bougainvillea in:
- The British & World English dictionary