Definition of bovine in English:
1Of, relating to, or affecting cattle: bovine tuberculosis bovine tissue
More example sentences
- One possible threat is bovine tuberculosis, a disease probably introduced to South Africa through domestic cattle brought in by European settlers at the end of the 18th century.
- The pests were introduced to New Zealand in the 19th century and today spread bovine tuberculosis to livestock and wreak havoc on forests, competing with native birds for food.
- Because of their bovine family ties, cattle and buffalo turn out to be vulnerable to many of the same pathogens, such as foot-and-mouth disease and bovine tuberculosis.
1.1(Of a person) slow-moving and dull-witted: amiable bovine faces
More example sentences
- The bovine fellow hasn't overestimated, either.
- Bosporus is named so because of the bovine woman.
- She had always teased him, calling him reptilian, and he had shot back with varying degrees of irritation that at least he wasn't bovine.
nounBack to top
An animal of the cattle group, which also includes buffaloes and bisons.
- The last aurochs, the wild bovines from which domesticated cattle are descended, died in Poland in the seventeenth century, not long before the last dodos were killed on Mauritius.
- Most numerous are ibex, of which there are twelve carvings, followed by horses, aurochs and other bovines, deer, and mammoths.
- Max will bring art from all of these projects to this year's show, along with the famous VW Bug painted in a wild spectrum of Max colors, as well as some beautiful bovines from Cow Parade New York 2000.
- Example sentences
- Your owner has sent you on a mission to steal as much hay as is bovinely possible from the surrounding farms.
- To the bovinely challenged: cow patties, or cow pies, are splats of cow manure shaped kind of like Frisbees.
- On second thought, I would much rather pay the price of inner human turmoil rather than be bovinely tranquil.
Words that rhyme with bovineJugurthine • grapevine
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan