1A person who takes part in boxing, especially as a sport.
- The highways of boxing are littered with boxers who try to re invent themselves only to end up as road kill.
- He should be working to help boxers from within the sport rather than put himself outside it.
- Daredevil possesses the acrobatic ability of a circus performer and the pugilistic skills of a boxer.
2A medium-sized dog of a breed with a smooth brown coat and puglike face.
- I have the utmost respect for boxers, a breed who put their lives on the line each time they compete.
- On the far left is Lisa, and Art and Luke Stowe with the Irish wolf hound Strider and their boxer Luke.
- Upon arriving at Scootypoof's place, I was really pleased to be greeted by Popeye the boxer dog and one of his favourite toys.
Words that rhyme with boxersponsor • matzo • bobbysoxer
A member of a fiercely nationalistic Chinese secret society that flourished in the 19th century. In 1899 the society led a Chinese uprising ( the Boxer Rebellion) against Western domination that was eventually crushed by a combined European force, aided by Japan and the US.
- Toward the end of the nineteenth century the Boxers, a secret society, emerged in Shantung and blamed China's problems on foreigners, especially the missionaries who had ventured out of the treaty ports and into the Chinese interior.
- The goal of the Boxers, or nationalistic Chinese, was to rid the country of foreigners, thus eliminating foreign intervention and exploitation of China.
- Resentment of foreign influence encouraged the growth of a clandestine society called ‘Fists of Righteous Harmony’, known to Europeans as Boxers from its Chinese name and practice of ritual shadow-boxing.
Definition of boxer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan