Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of braai in English:
noun (plural braais)
1 short for braaivleis.
- We held the hen night here at the house, so the men all left and went to have a braai somewhere else.
- A braai is like a barbecue, only without the potato salad.
- I like to keep my food quite traditional, the only time that I use spices is when I make a braai, when I add piri piri and curry powder to fresh fish or mutton.
1.1A structure on which a fire can be made for the outdoor grilling of meat.
- Smaller groups come with their meat and braais and enjoy the lush surrounds.
- You're invited to bring along your picnic basket and blanket but no fires or braais are permitted.
- They should try lighting a braai fire in the teeth of a Cape blizzard with a friend who says he can't help because he has a beer in each hand.
verb (braais, braaiing or braaing, braaied)[with object] Back to top
Grill (meat) over an open fire.
- Just outside the pub, in Quartz Street, is The Braai & Meat, a small outdoor restaurant, with happy customers tucking into pap and braaied meat.
- They covered topics such as measures to take when storing food at room temperature, and how to handle and braai meat in open areas to ensure that food is not contaminated.
- Poking fun at the crumbling edifice of Afrikaner culture, subverting the images, distorting the holy icons and braaing the sacred cows, bitterkomix creators Joe Dog and Conrad Botes do what they do best - make comics.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.