Definition of brachiosaur in English:
A huge herbivorous dinosaur of the late Jurassic to mid Cretaceous periods, with forelegs much longer than the hind legs.
- Genus Brachiosaurus, infraorder Sauropoda, order Saurischia
- They found embedded in solid rock what they believe to be the pelvis of a primitive sauropod, a four-legged, plant-eating dinosaur similar to better-known creatures such as brachiosaurus and diplodocus.
- As Christians who reject evolutionary theory, the family scoffed at the park's dinosaur attractions, which date the apatosaurus, brachiosaurus and the like to prehistoric times.
- Apparently, palaeontologists have wondered for years as to why the brachiosaurus didn't collapse under its own weight.
- 1brachiosaurian adjective
- Example sentences
- To confuse matters even further, it has recently been suggested that Cedarosaurus and some of the Pleurocoelus material is not even brachiosaurian, but titanosaur instead.
- The reported dorsal vertebra of Ultrasauros is not even brachiosaurian but from a diplodocid.
Modern Latin, from Greek brakhiōn 'arm' + sauros 'lizard'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.