Definition of bracket fungus in English:
A fungus that grows on living trees or dead wood, forming one or more shelflike projections that are the spore-producing bodies. Hyphae spread through the wood absorbing nutrients and can cause the death of the tree.
- Several families (formerly in the order Aphyllophorales), class Basidiomycetes
- It is a sessile wood inhabiting fungus and is commonly known as ‘bracket fungus’.
- Here you can see the basidiocarp of the bracket fungus growing on the trunk of this tree.
- The artist's conk is a particular kind of bracket fungus, Ganoderma applanata.
Definition of bracket fungus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan