A fungus that grows on living trees or dead wood, forming one or more shelflike projections that are the spore-producing bodies. Hyphae spread through the wood absorbing nutrients and can cause the death of the tree.
- Several families (formerly in the order Aphyllophorales), class Basidiomycetes
More example sentences
- It is a sessile wood inhabiting fungus and is commonly known as ‘bracket fungus’.
- Here you can see the basidiocarp of the bracket fungus growing on the trunk of this tree.
- The artist's conk is a particular kind of bracket fungus, Ganoderma applanata.
Definition of bracket fungus in:
- The British & World English dictionary