Definition of brainwave in English:
1An electrical impulse in the brain.
- They hooked me up to an ambulatory EEG, a recent technology that can record brainwaves for three days and nights.
- An individual's capacity for such visual working memory can be predicted by his or her brainwaves, researchers funded by the NIH's National Institute of Mental Health have discovered.
- My first specific criticism occurred in Chapter One, when the authors describe their own research regarding brainwaves of clients during hypnosis, counseling, or a control situation.
1.1 [usually in singular] informal A sudden clever idea.
- I was fingering my car keys, wondering if my perverse appetite would last all the way to Tesco's and back, when I had a sudden brainwave.
- Anyway, as she went on and got more and more into it, I had a sudden brainwave.
- Those words hit Rick like stones, a brainwave and an idea quickly ensued.
Definition of brainwave in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.