Definition of brakeman in English:
noun (plural brakemen)
1A railroad worker responsible for a train’s brakes and other aspects of its operation.
- Many jobs were no more nor less dangerous than thousands of posts in other walks of life, but for shunters, goods guards and brakesmen, permanent way staff and platelayers the story was different.
- While going downhill, each coach has a special ‘Chatelier’ brake, operated by a ‘brakesman’ based on the whistle codes from the driver.
- It was the junior brakeman's ‘duties’ to stock up the van with coke for the stove and to wash the floor to the satisfaction of his conductor.
2A person in charge of brakes, for instance in a bobsled.
- With an eye toward the 2006 Olympic Games in Turin, Italy, he wants to become a bobsledding brakeman - for Greece.
- Will Valerie Fleming, a former sprinter and javelin thrower and current brakeman for bobsled driver (and former pro soccer player) Shauna Rohbock, get her Olympic medal on the track at Cesana Pariol?
- He was the brakeman for the USA world bobsledding team that won the four-man national bobsledding championship at Lake Placid.
Definition of brakeman in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan