A partition or shaft lining in a coal mine, typically made of wood or heavy cloth.
- It was past seven o'clock now and the first purple brattices of night were draping the eastern horizon.
- The shaft at Moorfield had the brattice removed and was fitted out with two double-decked cages.
- It was the practice to fill in the spaces between the brattices and the wax walls with slack.
- Example sentences
- The auxiliary winder is a ground-mounted, single drum winder with a double-deck, six-man cage on fixed guides in a bratticed compartment in the shaft.
- The shaft is divided or bratticed into two compartments, in the other one of which the pumps and their apparatus are placed.
- Nine men had survived the blast, had bratticed themselves into a side tunnel.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of brattice in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.