Definition of breadcrumb in English:
1A small fragment of bread.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a frying pan, add the garlic and breadcrumbs and cook, stirring all the time, until golden.
- Now drain the pasta and toss it with the warm garlic breadcrumbs, the grilled sardines, the sliced oranges and the chopped parsley.
- In a bowl, mix fennel puree and breadcrumbs; season with salt and pepper to taste.
2 (breadcrumbs or breadcrumb trail) A series of connected pieces of information or evidence: federal agents stood by in the hope that the trail of breadcrumbs would lead to a Mexican drug cartel you have to be careful about the digital breadcrumbs that you are leaving behind
[from the traditional story of Hansel and Gretel, who leave a trail of breadcrumbs behind them as they walk through a forest, intending to use them in order to retrace their steps]
More example sentences
- If you are acting like a whistle blower know the consequences and don't leave a breadcrumb trail to your door.
- There are parallel, connected plot-lines that eventually merge, with Grisham leaving breadcrumbs as to how they are connected without giving too much away.
- The digital breadcrumbs left behind when people use Internet-connected gadgets are what led California investigators to recover iMacs, iPads and other items stolen from his home.
2.1A hierarchical series of hyperlinks displayed at the top of a web page, indicating the page’s position in the overall structure of the website: check to make sure that your site has good internal linking and consider adding breadcrumbs for breadcrumb trails, a smaller pixel size of 9 to 11 is good
More example sentences
- A breadcrumb trail explicitly shows the path from the homepage to the current page.
- Breadcrumbs are the easiest way to display this information in a clean, easy-to-understand format.
- You can find your way back to the pages where you started from by using the "breadcrumbs" feature.
- Example sentences
- But there's something about Coe's descriptions of ‘panfried sea bass fillet with courgettes, fennel and sauce verge’ that makes me pine for the finest fish fingers Cap'n Bird's Eye ever plucked, already breadcrumbed, from the ocean.
- So when your average Annika or Olof goes shopping, their idea of a decent snack is sweet-cured herring with some Arctic flatbread or a bowl of green lentil and ham soup, not a pile of chips and breadcrumbed pet food nuggets.
- And it wasn't fried within the meaning of the act - it was breadcrumbed.
Definition of breadcrumb in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan