Definition of breadfruit in English:
1The large, round, starchy fruit of a tropical tree, which is used as a vegetable and sometimes to make a substitute for flour.
- These animals have fed only on the finest tropical fruits (mangoes and breadfruit are their favourites).
- Stories of Marco Polo and lasagna made with flour ground from breadfruit have found their way into the quest for lasagna's origin.
- Native-grown breadfruit, mango, soursop, pawpaw, and cashews are regarded by some locals as less desirable food.
2 (also breadfruit tree) The large evergreen tree that bears the breadfruit, which is widely cultivated on the islands of the Pacific and the Caribbean.
- Artocarpus altilis, family Moraceae
- The well-known breadfruit tree brought to the island by Captain Bligh in 1793 was first planted here, and its descendants are still to be found in the gardens.
- The breadfruit tree at my home is bearing like there is no tomorrow.
- So this person called in to say that a breadfruit tree in their area north of the island had fallen down due to the strong winds.
Words that rhyme with breadfruitjackfruit • passion fruit
Definition of breadfruit in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.