Definition of breakbeat in English:
1 Music A repeated sample of a drumbeat, usually forming a fast syncopated rhythm, used as a basis for dance music.
- You'll find no contemporary rhythms here - no breakbeats, syncopated garage or 4/4 tech-house - to jolt you into the clever, chaotic and horrid present.
- Orion kicks off with Towards, a beautiful opener that builds into a multi-layered piece of sparse guitar chords floating over a shifting rhythm section of soft breakbeats and reversed cymbals.
- On Stargazing, singers gently coo over leisurely breakbeats, spacey samples and woozy strings.
1.1Dance music featuring breakbeats.
- At Meow Mixes, you can dance to hip hop, funk, alternative, techno, breakbeat, ethnic music and retro favourites.
- In the beginning of the '90s, I was doing techno, house, acid jazz, breakbeat and, yes, even trance (oops).
- Were you ever into Detroit techno, or breakbeat, or UK hardcore?
Definition of breakbeat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan