Definition of breakup in English:
1An end to a relationship, typically a marriage.
- Family Mediation Services helps families through the trauma of marriage and relationship break-ups.
- For a start, marriage break-ups are on the increase, which often results in people taking on a mortgage later in life.
- The organisation is running adverts in the farming press this week urging people to contact them to talk about their concerns regarding relationship break-ups.
1.2A physical disintegration of something: large quantities of oil are released after the breakup of a tanker the spring breakup of the ice
More example sentences
- It is spring breakup, a time when the bush roads turn into a sea of mud, and forest operations grind to a halt.
- Shortly after the breakup of ice, Murie and his guides started north again by canoe.
- Most polar bears can handle a single season of early ice breakup, the authors write.