Definition of breakup in English:
1An end to a relationship, typically a marriage.
- Family Mediation Services helps families through the trauma of marriage and relationship break-ups.
- For a start, marriage break-ups are on the increase, which often results in people taking on a mortgage later in life.
- The organisation is running adverts in the farming press this week urging people to contact them to talk about their concerns regarding relationship break-ups.
1.2A physical disintegration of something: large quantities of oil are released after the breakup of a tanker the spring breakup of the ice
More example sentences
- It is spring breakup, a time when the bush roads turn into a sea of mud, and forest operations grind to a halt.
- Shortly after the breakup of ice, Murie and his guides started north again by canoe.
- Most polar bears can handle a single season of early ice breakup, the authors write.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan