Definition of breastplate in English:
1A piece of armor covering the chest.
- Vests and T-shirts bear prints of Japanese armour breastplates embellished with coloured jewels.
- The man quickly grabbed his arms and the woman stripped his armour breastplate away.
- He wore a breastplate and leg armour, as well as the expensive, linen drapery around his body.
2 Judaism In ancient times, a jeweled vestment covering the chest of the Jewish high priest.
- The jewelry includes earrings, necklaces, armbands and a breastplate.
- The High Priest's wearing of the breastplate atoned for the Courts mistakes in judgment.
- Somehow this breastplate had the special capacity to help him in rendering important judicial decisions.
3A set of straps attached to the front of a saddle, which pass across the horse’s chest and prevent the saddle from slipping backward.
- They were so pretty, with those burnished breastplates.
- This breastplate is designed to keep the saddle from sliding backwards while allowing the horse freedom of movement.
- Rear cinch and breastplate are considered required for safety reasons.
Definition of breastplate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India