1A strong leather strap passing around the hindquarters of a horse harnessed to a vehicle.
- A cart has no brakes, so the horse is fitted with breechings around the hind legs to allow him to slow the vehicle.
- These connect to the breechings via the harness, and provide effectively both for steering and braking.
- The wheel-horses' breechings are independent of their collars.
2 historical A thick rope used to secure the carriage of a cannon on a ship and to absorb the force of the recoil.
- The wire breechings of No.2 6-inch gun were carried away near the end of the firing.
- In very bad weather, when the ship's rolling caused the guns to strain their fastenings, the breechings were doubled.
- Are you a great gun yourself, that you so recoil, to the extremity of your breechings, at that discharge?
3The hair or wool on the hindquarters of an animal.
- Silvering may appear in the undercoat, tail, under parts of the dog, or beneath the tail and breechings.
- Black is self-explanatory but some black Chows have silver shadings in tail or breechings.
- The hair may be a little longer on breechings.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of breeching in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.