- A European flatfish that resembles a turbot.
More example sentences
- Scophthalmus rhombus, family Scophthalmidae (or Bothidae)
- The lakes, rivers and bay all combine to provide the choicest seafood - brill, turbot and trout.
- The roasted brill with artichokes and baby potato gratin sounded particularly good.
- For the main, the Gardener had the roasted brill with scallops, leek risotto with barolo sauce.
late 15th century: of unknown origin.
Entry from British & World English dictionary
adjectiveBritish • informal
1980s: abbreviation of brilliant.