- A plant native to tropical and subtropical America, typically having short stems with rosettes of stiff, usually spiny, leaves. Some kinds are epiphytic, and many are cultivated as houseplants.
More example sentences
- Family Bromeliaceae: Bromelia and other genera, and numerous species, including the pineapple and Spanish moss
- Miller also offers a variety of tropical plants, including bromeliads, bougainvillea, citrus, hibiscus, and orchids.
- The plants that he uses include ferns, bromeliads, orchids and palm trees.
- Dry heat, common in most houses during the winter, is fine for cactus and succulents, but it's tough on tropicals such as African violets, bromeliads, and orchids.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin Bromelia (named by Linnaeus after Olaf Bromel (1639–1705), Swedish botanist) + -ad1.
More definitions of bromeliadDefinition of bromeliad in:
- The British & World English dictionary