- A pouch in certain fish, frogs, and invertebrates in which the eggs are protected before hatching.More example sentences
- Snakes employ shivering thermogenesis, which acts to warm their eggs, amphipods actively ventilate the brood pouch, and fishes fan to increase water circulation.
- In S. typhle, females transfer eggs to a brood pouch under the male's tail, where he then fertilizes them.
- The eggs can be kept in open brood pouches or attached to the pleopods of the female, as in pleocyematan decapods, or freely released in the environment, as in penaeid shrimps.
More definitions of brood pouchDefinition of brood pouch in:
- The British & World English dictionary