Definition of broomrape in English:
A parasitic plant that bears tubular flowers on a leafless brown stem. It is attached by its tubers to the roots of a host plant, which may be any of a number of species.
- Genus Orobanche, family Orobanchaceae
- The broomrapes (Orobanche spp.) are obligate parasitic weeds that cause severe damage to hosts.
- Likewise, the subtree of broomrapes alone does not differ from that of photosynthetic plants in degree of constraint.
- So far, U.S. sunflower growers have not been plagued by broomrape.
Definition of broomrape in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan