Definition of broth in English:
1Soup consisting of meat or vegetable chunks, and often rice, cooked in stock.
- Spoon the broth with vegetables into soup bowls.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and let cook about 25 minutes, until vegetables are tender and broth smells lightly of the cheese.
- Professor Kidunae Ikeda comes home from the physics faculty at the Tokyo Imperial University and sits down to eat a broth of vegetables and tofu prepared by his wife.
1.1Meat or fish stock.
- Clarify the cool broth by whisking the egg whites and stirring them and their shells into it, then heating over very low heat just to a simmer.
- Combine okra with reserved broth and remaining ingredients.
- You needn't brown the meat (so no spatters); just simmer it gently with a few herbs and spices in broth until it's tender.
2 Microbiology Liquid medium containing proteins and other nutrients for the culture of bacteria: [as modifier]: broth cultures of intestinal tissue
More example sentences
- Respiratory specimens were examined with radiometric broth medium cultures and with the AMPLICOR assay for M tuberculosis.
- Depending on the chemical added to the bacterial broth, the proteins of one gene would effectively be deactivated, disabling that gene.
- By examining microscopically a drop of this broth culture the bacilli are seen in active movement, swarming at the margins of the drop, interspersed with the spiral threads, which are also apparently mobile.
a broth of a boy
- informal , chiefly Irish Used approvingly to refer to a very lively boy.Example sentences
- Ambrose too had a long reign as a minor - a broth of a boy.
- You're right, my jewel; there's not such a broth of a boy to be picked up every day in the week.
- But he's much more of a broth of a boy now, right enough.
Words that rhyme with brothcloth, froth, Goth, moth, Roth, wrath
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan