- A celestial object intermediate in size between a giant planet and a small star, believed to emit mainly infrared radiation.More example sentences
- The red object appears to be a planet orbiting the brighter brown dwarf star, seen here as blue-white.
- Almost the size of a brown dwarf star, it was a gas giant planet that had been wandering loose in interstellar space, and our star had attracted it.
- In February and March of this year, the astronomers took new images of the young brown dwarf and its giant planet companion with the NACO instrument on European Southern Observatory's Very Large Telescope in northern Chile.
More definitions of brown dwarfDefinition of brown dwarf in:
- The British & World English dictionary