- A dark-colored adipose tissue with many blood vessels, involved in the rapid production of heat in hibernating animals and human babies.More example sentences
- They may be composed purely of mature adipocytes, or of brown fat, or of adipocytes in combination with mature smooth muscle and vascular elements (angiomyolipoma).
- Unlike normal white fat that stores surplus energy, brown fat generates heat in response to cold or excess caloric intake.
- Scientists have measured higher rates of bodily heat production only in the flight muscles of some insects and, possibly, the brown fat of hamsters.
More definitions of brown fatDefinition of brown fat in:
- The British & World English dictionary