Definition of brown rat in English:
A rat found throughout the world, often living in association with man and regarded as a pest. It is commonly kept as a laboratory animal and as a pet, and is also bred in the albino form. Also called common rat, Norway rat.
- Rattus norvegicus, family Muridae
- Only three out of twenty-seven species of mammals in Kuwait are not endangered, and they are the house rat, brown rat, and house mouse.
- Many people mistake the endangered water vole for the brown rat and accidentally poison them or disturb their burrows.
- Originating in Asia and arriving in North America about 1775, the brown rat is humanity's worst animal pest.
Definition of brown rat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan