A bacterial disease typically affecting cattle and buffalo and causing undulant fever in humans.
- This disease is caused by Gram-negative bacteria of the genus Brucella, in particular B. abortus
More example sentences
- Though now rare, chills and fevers in a butcher or veterinarian suggests brucellosis (undulant fever), a bacterial infection transferable from animals to man.
- Other causes of encephalitis include influenza, listeriosis, brucellosis, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, whooping cough, rabies and lead poisoning.
- Acute bacterial infections, notably salmonellosis, brucellosis, pertussis, tuberculosis and rickettsial infections, can cause neutropenia.
1930s: from modern Latin Brucella + -osis: named after Sir David Bruce (1855–1931), the Scottish physician who identified the bacterium.
Definition of brucellosis in:
- The British & World English dictionary