- A white, gray, or greenish mineral consisting of magnesium hydroxide.More example sentences
- The spacing between the protruding oxygen atoms is comparable to the spacing between certain of the hydroxyl groups in layers of magnesium hydroxide (brucite) or aluminum hydroxide (gibbsite).
- In the presence of excess ground waters, brucite in the friable matrix dissolves, leaving behind a residue of amorphous iron oxides.
- The individual magnesium hydroxide layers are identical to the individual layers of brucite and are referred to as the ‘brucite layers’.
early 19th century: named after Archibald Bruce (1777–1818), American mineralogist, + -ite1.
More definitions of bruciteDefinition of brucite in:
- The British & World English dictionary