Entry from British & World English dictionary
1A heather-like South African shrub which is cultivated for its essential oil and as an ornamental.
- Genus Agathosma (or Barosma) and Diosma, family Rutaceae
- In the Western Cape you have serious problems with the removal of buchu.
- People also hunt for ferns, orchids, arum lilies and buchu.
- Companion plants that look good with the dwarf coral tree include Helichrysum cymosum, buchu, crocosmia and the blombos
1.1 [mass noun] A diuretic drug made from the powdered leaves of the buchu.
- Uva ursi and buchu Leaf are said to have diuretic, antiseptic and astringent properties, while Counchgrass is a soothing diuretic specific to cystitis.
- Uva ursi, juniper berry, and buchu leaf all cause the body to lose water.
- Precaution: If you have kidney problems such as pain while urinating, blood in your urine do not take Buchu.
Mid 18th century: from Khoikhoi.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.