- A plant of bogs and shallow water with creeping rhizomes, beanlike leaves that consist of three leaflets, and white or pinkish hairy flowers. Formerly used as a substitute for hops, it is now cultivated as an ornamental aquatic plant. Also called bogbean.
More example sentences
- Menyanthes trifoliata, family Menyanthaceae
- In ponds, Sitka sedge often forms dense stands; other common species are bluejoint, buckbean, marsh five-finger, and marsh horsetail.
- Evelyn reported buckbeans in bloom and she thinks she saw some purple bladderwort as well.
- When in bloom, buckbean is unlikely to be confused with other Northwest aquatic plants.
late 16th century: from Flemish bocks boonen 'goat's beans'.
More definitions of buckbeanDefinition of buckbean in:
- The British & World English dictionary