Definition of buckbean in English:
A plant of bogs and shallow water with creeping rhizomes, beanlike leaves that consist of three leaflets, and white or pinkish hairy flowers. Formerly used as a substitute for hops, it is now cultivated as an ornamental aquatic plant. Also called bogbean.
- Menyanthes trifoliata, family Menyanthaceae
- In ponds, Sitka sedge often forms dense stands; other common species are bluejoint, buckbean, marsh five-finger, and marsh horsetail.
- Evelyn reported buckbeans in bloom and she thinks she saw some purple bladderwort as well.
- When in bloom, buckbean is unlikely to be confused with other Northwest aquatic plants.
Late 16th century: from Flemish bocks boonen 'goat's beans'.
Words that rhyme with buckbeansoybean
Definition of buckbean in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan