Definition of buckthorn in English:
1A shrub or small tree of the buckthorn family, typically bearing thorns. Some kinds yield dyes, and others have been used medicinally.
- Genus Rhamnus, family Rhamnaceae: several species, including the European common buckthorn (R. cathartica), now established in the northeastern and central US, and the Carolina buckthorn (R. caroliniana) of the southern US
- We do not recommend strong laxatives such as senna or buckthorn for you.
- It requires two species of host plant to complete its life cycle: common buckthorn and soybean.
- These herbal teas typically include senna, aloe, buckthorn and other plant-derived laxatives.
2 (also buckthorn bumelia) A shrub or small tree of the sapodilla family, with sharp thorns and clusters of small white flowers, commonly found in moist soils of the southern and central US.
- Bumelia lycioides, family Sapotaceae
- Multiple generations of wingless female aphids are produced on soybeans until late summer/fall, when winged females and males are produced that migrate back to buckthorn, where they mate.
- The surprising thing was the field was quite far from any buckthorn where aphids might have over-wintered.
- Tending gardens and farms amongst such lushness, I was tested by tenacious Himalayan blackberry, sharp buckthorn, and deep rooted, heavy seeded, curly dock.
Definition of buckthorn in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.