Definition of buckwheat in English:
1An Asian plant of the dock family that produces starchy seeds. The seeds are used for fodder and are also milled into flour that is widely used in the US.
- Fagopyrum esculentum, family Polygonaceae
- Increase whole grains such as millet, buckwheat, quinoa, oats, rye and barley.
- Add in the buckwheat, the vegetables and the pain d' épice, and toss lightly to coat, making sure the ingredients are nicely blended.
- Try buckwheat as an alternative source of complex carbohydrates for breakfast or any other meal or snack.
mid 16th century: from Middle Dutch boecweite 'beech wheat', its grains being shaped like beech mast.
Definition of buckwheat in:
- British & World English dictionary