Definition of buddleia in English:
- Genus Buddleia (or Buddleja), family Loganiaceae: several species, especially the butterfly bush
- To the right is a wilderness, abandoned to brambles, ground elder, bindweed and buddleia.
- The buddleia is just coming into flower and mid-summer clematis are covered in fat buds that will soon bloom.
- They planted a spring flowering cherry tree, two buddleia bushes and a laurel bush, along with daffodil bulbs.
Modern Latin; named in honor of the English botanist Adam Buddle (died 1715), by Linnaeus, at the suggestion of Sir William Houston who introduced the plant to Europe from South America.
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.