A small gregarious Australian parakeet that in the wild is green with a yellow head. It is popular as a pet bird and has been bred in a variety of colors.
- Melopsittacus undulatus, family Psittacidae
More example sentences
- The first step in ensuring that your budgerigars get sufficient exercise is to house them in an appropriately sized cage.
- Why has my budgerigar started plucking out its feathers, and how can I stop it?
- However South came out blazing in the third quarter and made the Eagles feel a little like budgerigars.
mid 19th century: of Aboriginal origin, perhaps an alteration of Kamilaroi gijirrigaa (also in related languages).
Definition of budgerigar in:
- The British & World English dictionary