Definition of bugloss in English:
A bristly plant of the borage family, with bright blue flowers.
- Anchusa, Lycopsis, and other genera, family Boraginaceae: several species, including the small bugloss (L. arvensis) and the widespread viper’s bugloss
- Flowers range from peonies, delphiniums, various brooms and gorses, mallows, asters and periwinkle through to buglosses, mandrake, daises, narcissi, irises and orchids.
- Viper's bugloss was introduced from Europe in colonial times.
- Common bugloss has fleshy, hairy leaves that grow smaller in size towards the top of the stem.
Late Middle English: from Old French buglosse or Latin buglossus, from Greek bouglōssos 'ox-tongued', from bous 'ox' + glōssa 'tongue'.
Definition of bugloss in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.