A thorny shrub or small tree of the rose family that bears purple-black fruits. It is a wild plum, of which the damson is the cultivated form.
- Prunus insititia (or Prunus domesticus subsp. insititia), family Rosaceae
More example sentences
- It didn't take long to track down two types of bullace in West Berkshire in the surrounding area, thanks to Newbury Weekly News readers and BBC Radio Berkshire listeners.
- Gages, bullaces and damsons are all grown in the same way as plums.
- I discovered a bullace tree, a wild plum, absolutely loaded with fruit and resolved to pick some fruit and make some wine, all the while documenting the process with recordings.
Middle English: from Old French buloce 'sloe': of unknown origin.
Definition of bullace in:
- The British & World English dictionary