Definition of bullace in English:
A thorny shrub or small tree of the rose family that bears purple-black fruits. It is a wild plum, of which the damson is the cultivated form.
- Prunus insititia (or Prunus domesticus subsp. insititia), family Rosaceae
- It didn't take long to track down two types of bullace in West Berkshire in the surrounding area, thanks to Newbury Weekly News readers and BBC Radio Berkshire listeners.
- Gages, bullaces and damsons are all grown in the same way as plums.
- I discovered a bullace tree, a wild plum, absolutely loaded with fruit and resolved to pick some fruit and make some wine, all the while documenting the process with recordings.
Middle English: from Old French buloce 'sloe': of unknown origin.
Definition of bullace in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan