Definition of bullpen in English:
noun(also bull pen) chiefly North American
1.1An exercise area for baseball pitchers.
- Both bullpens occupy the outfield foul ground, meaning there are mounds and usually players in the way.
- Trying to cushion his landing, he grabbed the railing to brace himself before tumbling into the bullpen area.
- At the time, the Indians used an automobile to transport pitchers from the bullpen to the mound.
1.2The relief pitchers of a baseball team.
- Suffice it to say that there are a lot of frustrated fans pulling their hair out over these two teams' respective bullpens.
- He might be a nice fit in the bullpen given the team's need for left-handed relief help.
- The Raiders' stable of running backs is much like a baseball team's bullpen.
1.4A large cell in which prisoners are held before a court hearing.
- There was a detective posing as a prisoner in the bullpen watching and listening to everything they said and did.
- On the 2nd of January I was called up at 8:00 a.m. I got processed and placed in the bullpen with 10 other prisoners.
- The prisoners are directed to a bench in a bullpen down the hall, where they stand as they're told.
Definition of bullpen in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan