Definition of bun in English:
1A bread roll of various shapes and flavorings, typically sweetened and often containing dried fruit.
- Good Friday is celebrated with a traditional breakfast of codfish cakes and hot-cross buns.
- Imagine children having tea, inevitably squabbling over the buns, teacakes, muffins and - this being a British expression - crumpets.
- There were sack races, a tea in the marquee with cakes, buns and sandwiches for 200, and a lad who won the prize for his branch-covered fancy dress of Boots.
2A hairstyle in which the hair is drawn back into a tight coil at the back of the head.
- If local women venture onto the dusty streets at all, they sport ankle-length dresses, buttoned-up blouses and 1930s hairstyles with buns and pompadours.
- Smiling, she tidied up her hair into a tight bun, with a thin, wooden chopstick going through it.
- I quickly pulled my hair into a tight bun, not wanting to bother with a swim cap.
3 (buns) North American informal A person’s buttocks.
- It takes a very secure individual to call their buttocks, buns.
- The only reason, he adds, that I don't have women walking by me and with a sexy glance saying, "Nice Buns", and smiling knowingly, is because I do not use the Bowflexor.
- Tight, toned and shapely buns and thighs can be yours with this energetic new yoga program.
have a bun in the oven
- informal Be pregnant.Example sentences
- Which Big Brother brunette has a bun in the oven?
- This chick, who's like a soapie star in Australia - announced six weeks ago that she had a bun in the oven.
- Once Bening successfully has a bun in the oven, Shandling's work is done, so he becomes the typical lazy husband, not interested in sex or talking.
Late Middle English: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with bunbegun, done, Donne, dun, fine-spun, forerun, fun, gun, Gunn, hon, Hun, none, nun, one, one-to-one, outdone, outgun, outrun, plus-one, pun, run, shun, son, spun, stun, sun, ton, tonne, tun, underdone, Verdun, won
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.