(also bunya pine or bunya-bunya)
Definition of bunya in English:
A tall coniferous Australian tree of the monkey puzzle family that bears large cones containing edible seeds.
- Araucaria bidwillii, family Araucariaceae
- Although his stand generated much publicity, the fate of the bunya pine and other trees remained uncertain, with last-minute negotiations coming to a close between the city council and Woolworth's at press time.
- Who's for savoring emu, kangaroo, or skate wing dusted with bunya nut?
- As the seasons came round, they gathered for feasts of bogong moths or bunya nuts.
mid 19th century: from Wiradhuri.
Words that rhyme with bunyagunyah
Definition of bunya in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan