Definition of burbot in English:
An elongated bottom-dwelling fish that is the only member of the cod family that lives in fresh water. It occurs in Eurasia and North America, but is almost extinct in Britain.
- Lota lota, family Gadidae
- Other fishes, such as catfishes and burbots, probably eat the young shovelnose sturgeons.
- Larger and deeper lakes, with oxygenated hypolimnions, will also have one or two larger salmonids, usually lake trout or landlocked Atlantic salmon, along with burbot and slimy sculpin.
- In outdoor mesocosm experiments, we tested the effects of decreasing shelter availability due to autumn lake-level decrease on the behavior and the growth of two littoral benthic dwellers, the juvenile burbot and the stone loach.
Middle English: from Old French borbete, probably from borbe 'mud, slime'.
Definition of burbot in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan