Definition of burbot in English:
An elongated bottom-dwelling fish that is the only member of the cod family that lives in fresh water. It occurs in Eurasia and North America, but is almost extinct in Britain.
- Lota lota, family Gadidae
- Other fishes, such as catfishes and burbots, probably eat the young shovelnose sturgeons.
- Larger and deeper lakes, with oxygenated hypolimnions, will also have one or two larger salmonids, usually lake trout or landlocked Atlantic salmon, along with burbot and slimy sculpin.
- In outdoor mesocosm experiments, we tested the effects of decreasing shelter availability due to autumn lake-level decrease on the behavior and the growth of two littoral benthic dwellers, the juvenile burbot and the stone loach.
Middle English: from Old French borbete, probably from borbe 'mud, slime'.
Words that rhyme with burbotHerbert, sherbet, turbot
Definition of burbot in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.